Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 24, 2010

M.V Doulos...the worlds largest floating book exhibition and oldest passenger liner, only 2 years younger than the Titanic with 500 ports of call, 320 people from over 50 countries. GBA good..books..for all.
Every function of the ship was hands on by the crew and if we lived in it then we worked it from book exhibition to engine room, teams were sent out into the visited towns to serve the community in whatever need they may have or we would just minister threw dramas..mimes..preaching..teaching etc.
March 2010 Doulos was bought by the C.E.O of the Biznaz resource centres and is now decommissioned and deemed a Historic ship- sad but glad that we were part of History in the making :)
I had volunteered  to work on board the ship while docked in Durban so I was well aware of what I was getting myself into little did I know that South Africa has the roughest waters in the world due to the two Oceans meeting, once the ship cut loose from the dock sea sickness hit me like something from a horror movie and no amount of pills was going to help me- Fasten your life jacket its going to be bombs away- lol.

The first time I volunteered I worked the laundry room (can you imagine a team of 7 washing..drying..folding and sorting out the clothes of 320 people daily ? I did this for 3 weeks Yikes! Every time I felt like I needed to be in a position less hot than the dryer room I felt for the people working in the engine room, it must have been at temps close to passing out yet they laboured with Love and I pressed on :) we all took turns for being in the ministry team and oh how I waited for those days...lol. I made some friends who are still in my life and together we set out on an adventure, we jointed the ship on its second time around and at this time I would work in the book exhibition.
More to follow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment